Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
All news and discussions related to Haitian football.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Haiti to play League of Nations in 2018

Haiti to play League of Nations in 2018 3 weeks 2 days ago #250

• HS Contributor
  • HS Contributor's Avatar Topic Author

If everything goes as planned Haiti and all other CONCACAF countries may be looking forward to a busy 2018 when the region's League of Nations will debut. As if that is not enough football, the Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) is also pushing for a Global League of Nations that will provide even more competitions for the national team.

In response to a proposal by UEFA to create a league between its associations that will last 2 years and literally wipe out the need and availability of European teams for friendlies with teams from outside the confederation, CONCACAF has decided to play its own League of Nations with all its 41 members. Smaller football teams such as Bahamas and Dominican Republic who rarely play 4 competitive matches a year will greatly profit from this year-long tournament.

Players from local leagues will be the biggest winners of this new tournament. Foreign clubs will find it hard to comply with the mandatory releases of players for national team duties on FIFA dates and we can expect some of them to sign less foreign players or request that their contracted players to reject national team's calls. Thus, more local players will be capped.

It is believed that the League of Nations will not benefit much the big three Mexico, USA, and Costa Rica who will miss out on playing high profile and competitive friendlies versus top European teams. However, as explained above, those friendlies will be gone anyway since the European teams will not be available. 

UEFA's proposal for a global league of nations will allow teams from a confederation to play competitively against their counterparts from the rest of the world, thus eliminating the need for friendlies and providing smaller teams a chance to participate and win international titles.

CONCACAF's League of Nations will closely ressemble that of UEFA with several divisions which will be determined based on FIFA ranking. In CONCACAF Haiti is highly ranked therefore we expect the country to be in the top division. This means that in 2018 Haiti may face Mexico, USA, Costa Rica and the like each twice. However, where Haiti will fall in the UEFA's 7 division league is everyone's guess.

Read article...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Haiti to play League of Nations in 2018 3 weeks 3 hours ago #252

Hi Guys, a poster from the Reggaeboyz website suggested the following format for the new league of nations and I happen to agree with it. What do you guys think?

My top division of 14 would be:

Division 1

Mexico
Costa Rica
Panama
USA
Honduras
Jamaica
Haiti
Canada
Guatemala
El Salvador
Curacao
Trinidad
Cuba
Nicaragua

Division 2

St Kitts and Nevis
Suriname
Grenada
Antigua and Barbuda
Barbados
Guyana
Puerto Rico
St. Vincent and Grenadines
Dominican Republic
Aruba
Belize

Division 3

Dominica
Bermuda
Cayman Islands
US VI
British VI
Anguilla
Bahamas
Monsterratt
Turks and Caicos
Sint Marteen
St. Lucia

Note: If French Guiana, Martinique and Guadeloupe participate things change.

Last Edit: by Tini_man.

Haiti to play League of Nations in 2018 3 weeks 29 minutes ago #253

I like it but I suspect the big 3 will want a smaller number of teams for the top division. Also, I do think the current Bermuda team is better than Puerto Rico, Aruba, and possibly Belize. Remember their U17 and U20 was very competitive. If they know what they're doing they should have a decent team.

Haiti to play League of Nations in 2018 3 weeks 24 minutes ago #254

As is, Surinam and DR would be promoted to the top division while Nica and Curacao would go down.

Haiti to play League of Nations in 2018 2 weeks 6 days ago #255

The only thing that could hurt Caribbean football is the qualification to the gold cup. This new format will replace Central-Caribbean game qualifications for the Gold cup. What it really mean: The USA, Canada and Mexico will have automatic berth as usual. Lets assume behind the US, Mexico and Canada, the top 8 finishers from the tournament will qualify(If my qualifying prediction is correct)
Most of the top 8 will likely to be dominated by Central Caribbean teams

Last Edit: by Tini_man.

Haiti to play League of Nations in 2018 2 weeks 5 days ago #256

Hey Tini. An you once again tell me who’s the leading scorer for the national team I know once you mention a name but it was Manno Sanon

• Page:

More Links

Forum Links